Why Are Some People More Successful Than Others
Did you ever stop and ask yourself, why is it that some people are more successful than others?
Why is it some people make more money, live longer, have better relationships?
Brian Tracy is a top sales trainer, personal success authority and best-selling author. When he was 15 he set out on a lifelong journey to find the answer to that question: “Why are some people more successful than others?”
He learned later that almost every great venture begins with an act of faith, like driving into the dark, into the unknown.
In a way, nature protects us by shielding us from knowledge of the difficulties and obstacles that lie ahead.
A Trip or Journey is a Metaphor for Life
If we really knew all the problems we would face, the setbacks, the suffering temporary failure, and the disappointments, many of us would hesitate about ever even starting out at all. And in many ways, a trip or a journey is a metaphor for life.
Brian's first big trip consisted of a lot of failure, disappointment and much, much more. It had such an enormous impact on him that he never really got over it.
His whole life has been different as a result. He learned then and for the rest of his entire life, that whenever you try to do something out of the ordinary, people will line up to tell you that you can't do it, and why you can't do it.
That you'll lose your time, you'll lose your money, even people who should know better will try to discourage you.
To achieve anything great or worthwhile you must train yourself to rise above these people, ignoring them and pressing on towards your goal regardless.
Brian was on his first big trip to the Sahara, the largest desert on Earth. He was in the area named the Ténéré, the emptiest single stretch of the Sahara, 500 miles of nothing.
Not a fly, not a blade of grass, as flat as a tabletop, 500 miles.
The enormity of what he and his fellow traveler had embarked on finally began to sink in. They had to get across the 500 miles in two days or they would be out of water.
It was further than they thought, but they made it just before the heat forced them to stop. They were all aware of how close they had come to actually dying in the desert.
They had done it, they had got through the Sahara. Brian learned about life and success in crossing the Sahara.
7 Rules you can apply to any challenge to achieve anything you desire
- Decide upon your goal and then LAUNCH. The most important key to achieving great success is to decide upon your goal and then launch. Get started, take action, do something, move.
- Never consider the possibility of failure. Once you've launched towards your goal, never consider the possibility of failure. The German's have a saying, it's: “vorwärts immer, rückwärts nimmer”. It means, “always forward, never backward.” Always forward, never backward. Never consider the possibility of failure.
- The only time you have is NOW. If you live every day, every hour the best you can the rest will take care of itself.
- Watch out for the naysayers. Get around positive people, get around winners. Fly with the eagles and refuse to listen to objections and reasons why you can't succeed.
- Welcome obstacles and difficulties as valuable and inevitable steps on the ladder of success. Remember, the difficulties come not to obstruct, but to instruct.
- Be clear on your goals. Keep your mind open. Be clear about your goal, but be flexible about the process of achieving it. Be willing to change, to try something new, keep your mind open and fluid and flexible. Be willing to accept feedback from your environment and correct your course. This is a key quality of peak performers. They're not rigid, they're flexible. Remember, it's not what you have, but what you do with what you have that separates winners from losers.
- Nobody does it alone. At every step of the journey across Africa people helped Brian and his fellow travellers with advice, with food, with assistance and money, but especially with warmth and kindness and with generosity.
When life is over it will be the people that we lived and laughed and loved with that we remember more than anything else. So don't be afraid to ask for help from others.
It's a mark of strength and courage and character. And don't be reluctant to give of yourself to others generously, it's the mark of caring, and compassion, and personal greatness.
The reason the Sahara story was so relevant to Brian was that after the Sahara journey he never felt that there was anything that he couldn't do.
He felt programmed for success, for life, although it took him many years to understand it.
And the reason why this story may be of interest to you is because Brian believes that everyone has a Sahara to cross. Perhaps more than one.
Many of you are crossing your own Sahara's right now. Everyone eventually goes through periods of great difficulty, their own private hells, their dark nights of the soul.
But it is by facing whatever life gives us with courage and determination that we grow more surely toward the stars.
If you resolve to carry on, no matter what life hands you, there is nothing that can stop you from achieving the greatness for which you were created.
Did you like this post and did you get value from it? If so I would appreciate it if you would leave a comment below or like or share it on Facebook!
Brian Tracy is recognized as the top sales training and personal success authority in the world today. He has authored more than 60 books and has produced more than 500 audio and video learning programs on sales, management, business success and personal development, including worldwide bestseller The Psychology of Achievement. Brian's goal is to help you achieve your personal and business goals faster and easier than you ever imagined.
The Power of Habit: Successful Habits in 7-Steps (FREE E-BOOK)
Learn How to Create Positive Habits with Success Expert, Brian Tracy
You May Also Like…
What are the specific routines that successful people follow every day to ensure their success? Top-selling author and leadership expert, Robin Sharma, shares five key habits that will make you unstoppable and undefeatable – at work and life – when you adopt them into your daily routine.